Giving Subcutaneous fluids
- Hang the bag on a hook of some kind.
- Place the needle on the extension set of the IV bag.
- Take the cover off the needle.
- Tent the skin.
- Place the needle through the skin in one smooth motion – do not jab. The needle should go through the tent near the body.
- Turn the fluids on by pushing the roller up.
- If fluid is seen dribbling outside the skin, the needle is not placed right. Try drawing the needle back a little and try again. If still no change, withdraw the needle and re-try.
- The numbers on the bag are each for 100mL fluid each. Give the appropriate amount as directed by your doctor.
- Repeat this as determined by your doctor. This frequency may change as we determine what’s best for your pet.