Safety tips for Halloween
Halloween is an exciting time of year. You get to see all the ghouls and goblins, carve pumpkins and enjoy all of those sweet treats. This time of year can also be scary and dangerous for our pets but with a couple of safety tips in mind we can all have a good time.
- Chocolate and Xylitol are toxic to your pets. Xylitol is a sugar substitute found in many sugar free candies and gum.
- Be sure your pet has proper identification on at all times. ID tags and microchips will make sure that if your pet gets out while you are trick or treating that he/she will find his/her way home safely.
- Make sure any lit candles are out of your pet's reach or better yet, use LED candles to avoid any chance of fire.
- Make sure your pet’s costume fits properly and give them time to get adjusted to wearing it. Loose pieces are prone to being eaten. Also make sure that the costume does not inhibit their ability to see, hear, breathe, move or open their mouth.
- Prevent your pet from having access to glow sticks or glow jewelry. Even though the liquid can be non-toxic it can cause excess salivation, upset stomach and your pet to act strangely.
- Provide your pet with a safe space for him/her to hide. Trick or Treaters can become very overwhelming and your pet may need to take some time to him/herself.
- Keep your pet indoors.